Re: Why did this L&N car that it needed a huge fishbelly frame?

Eric Hansmann

Dennis brings up a very good point. In many cases of gondolas with clamshell unloading doors, not all of the load was cleared. A decent amount of material still needed to be shoveled into the open area on the car floor to be unloaded. Labor was pretty cheap but as those costs rose, the self-clearing cars became more popular.

I can zoom in 250% on these images and see details decently. I don’t see anything above the trucks that would suggest a slope sheet. Note the rivet pattern at the center of the center sill outlines possible center slope sheets between the hoppers.

Are those poling pockets on the end of the car bolsters?

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 4:46 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Why did this L&N car that it needed a huge fishbelly frame?

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Here's a great side view of that L&N coal gondola with the fishbelly side
sills. If you click on the image there, you can review a slightly larger
size.
http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/ussteel/results/item.do?itemId=/nw/cra/ussteel/CRA-42-110-014

==============

The side sills also formed part of the hopper sides. If you look at the above referenced photo, you'll see two rows of rivets at a shallow angle between the doors which define the slopes sheets between the doors. These cars are part way between the flat floor gondola with a couple doors in the floor that the coal could be shoveled through; these had bigger outlets and sloped floors (I wonder if the slope sheets extend above the trucks?) but still weren't "self clearing" like the later cars. Someone still had to go inside with a shovel to push the coal to the outlets.

Dennis Storzek

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.