Re: Why did this L&N car that it needed a huge fishbelly frame?

Eric Hansmann

The pole or stick is an interesting question. One wonders if these images document an accident scene. Maybe the pole is where someone was standing.

Here's a different view with Erie hoppers in the background. They are also equipped with side discharge doors.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On Jul 1, 2015, at 6:12 PM, Charles Peck lnnrr152@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

On the L&N gon, I find the pole or pipe sticking up out of the load to be interesting.
Debris from the loading tipple, perhaps? And the load seems to be mine run coal. Lots of fines
mixed with some lumps.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM, 'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Dennis brings up a very good point. In many cases of gondolas with clamshell unloading doors, not all of the load was cleared. A decent amount of material still needed to be shoveled into the open area on the car floor to be unloaded. Labor was pretty cheap but as those costs rose, the self-clearing cars became more popular.

I can zoom in 250% on these images and see details decently. I don’t see anything above the trucks that would suggest a slope sheet. Note the rivet pattern at the center of the center sill outlines possible center slope sheets between the hoppers.

Are those poling pockets on the end of the car bolsters?

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX