interesting NYC wood sheathed boxcar

D. Scott Chatfield

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/nyc-238717.jpg

What surprised me most here are the T-section Bettendorfs under such a car, which I assume was built with archbars. Replacing the trucks was a significant expense. Given how many all-new steel cars the NYC was buying around the time of the introduction of the Bettendorf, I'm surprised they spent the money on this car.

Another detail I found odd is the extra running board supports that are not bearing on the carlines. I guess this roof design has a longitudinal ridge pole?

Does anyone know what kind of ends this car has?

Scott Chatfield