white lines on boxcar doors and other markings

D. Scott Chatfield

If memory serves, a horizontal white line on the main door of a boxcar meant it had auto loading racks inside. And there are other markings refering to load restraining devices. What I can't remember is in which book should I be looking for this info. I thought it was in the ORER, but a look in a 1965 edition turned up nothing.

Also, the notes section for NYC's automobile cars, such as the 52000-series, says most have F type auto racks and a few have G type racks, but I didn't find anything telling me what the differences are between the racks. My guess is F=Ford and G=GM, but those words aren't very long so why didn't they just spell it out?

Scott Chatfield