Re: General tank car discussion pt 2 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dave Boss

Hello again Elden
                          I have down loaded your series on tank cars.Did you post a parts 1and 6 ? I'm greatly appreciative of your efforts to provide such a wealth of info. on this subject. Dave

On Sunday, July 5, 2015 2:40 PM, "'Gatwood, Elden SAW' elden.j.gatwood@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I am glad some of you are interested in the subject, and also realized I confused everyone by limiting my discussion to just the standard "no sub-class" 103's, so here goes part 2:

More 103's: ICC 103A (riveted), 103A-W (welded) and ICC 103B/103B-W to start:

Class 103A: Acid Service; Sulfuric Acid, Oleum, Aqueous Hydrofluoric Acid 60% to 80%, Titanium Tetrachloride
Riveted or Welded (103A-W)
Insulated or Non-Insulated
1% Dome!
Valve OR Vent
No Bottom Outlet

Because they are acid cars, they do not need a larger dome, and also for safety reasons, they have no bottom outlet. Everything is done from the top of the car. Since they could be insulated or uninsulated, those are the primary spotting features. Sulfuric and hydrofluoric acids were used in a variety of industries, so you could see them all over.

ICC 103A-N-W: Phosphorous Oxychloride, Phosphorous Trichloride, Benzyl Chloride, Chloroacetyl Chloride
Nickel or Nickel Alloy Fusion-Welded Tank
Insulated or Non-Insulated
1% Dome; Top Unloading Arrangement Required
Safety Valve (35psi) or Safety Vent (45 psi)
Bottom Outlet Prohibited/ Washout Permitted

Nickel-lined cars with 2% domes were also used in some resin industries, but they are not 103A-N-W cars

ICC 103A-AL-W: Hydrogen Peroxide, Hydrazine, Nitric Acid (80% or more)
Aluminum Fusion-Welded Tank with Dome
Insulated or Non-Insulated; 1% Dome
Top Unloading Arrangement Required
Safety Valve (35 psi) or Safety Vent (45 psi)
Bottom Outlet Prohibited/Washout Permitted

Class 103B: Acid Service; Hydrochloric (Muriatic) Acid not over 38% by weight, Zinc Chloride, Phosphoric Acid, Ferric Chloride, Aluminum Sulfate
Riveted or Welded (103B-W)
Insulated or Non-Insulated
1% Dome; Rubber-Lined
Valve OR Vent
Bottom Outlet Prohibited

So these look almost the same as a 103A, but are rubber-lined, so the acid doesn't eat through the tank.

ICC 103C/C-W: for Nitric Acid, Hydrazine, Chlorosulfuric Acid, Formic Acid (the really nasty stuff)
Alloy (Stainless) Steel Riveted or Fusion-Welded Insulated or Non-Insulated; 1% Dome
Top Unloading Arrangement Required
Safety Valve (35 psi)
Bottom Outlet or Bottom Washout Prohibited

These look the same as above, but now we have a stainless steel tank.

ICC 103C-AL (obsolete 8/31/56): for 95% or greater concentration Nitric Acid
Aluminum Riveted Tank with Dome
Insulated or Non-Insulated
Nitric Acid Service
Safety Valve (35 psi)
Bottom Outlet or Bottom Washout Prohibited

ICC 103D-W: Acetic Acid, Whiskey, Ethyl Alcohol, Caramel, Fruit Juices, Vegetable Juices
Alloy (Stainless) Steel Fusion-Welded Tank with Dome
Insulated or Non-Insulated
2% Dome
Safety Valve (35psi) or
Safety Vent (45 psi)

And finally, for the 103's..

ICC 103E-W: Phosphoric Acid, Chlorosulfonic Acid, Diisooctyl Acid Phosphate
Alloy (Stainless) Steel Fusion-Welded Tank with Dome
Insulated or Non-Insulated
1% Dome
Top Unloading Arrangement Required
Safety Valve (35psi) or Safety Vent (45 psi)
Bottom Outlet Prohibited
Bottom Washout Permitted

That's a lot of different cars!

Models: The other "best ever" HO-scale tank car is obviously the Tangent acid car offering. It also makes everything else you own look bad. Yes, you sure need these cars, too. Acids were used in etching, cleaning of solvents and oils, and numerous industrial processes. I think the Tangent car is indeed a post-war car that Dave says is a 1949 up prototype. Lambert made a brass 103B-W that is crude by comparison, and is also, I believe, a 1966 GATC prototype (see, I did my research). You also have new resin options for older riveted cars, if you need those or want a more diverse fleet. Oh yes, there is also an extremely rare 103D-W 2-dome done by Sugiyama, I believe, that I have only seen one of in my lifetime. I would love to have one.

I only hope that Dave does even more tank cars, since everyone needs them, and we had not been given many adequate offerings back in the day.

I will go on with other cars (104's, etc) a bit later...

Elden Gatwood