Re: universal gasoline

Schuyler Larrabee

Mike, you’re correct that engines need adjustment for altitude.  Longer ago than I care to think about, I had a 1972 Datsun 240Z, which I bought in upstate NY.  I drove that to Colorado, and lived in Steamboat Springs for about a year.  The comparative lack of air pressure seriously affected the, uh, “spirit” of the car.  Adjustments of the twin SU carbs took care of that.  Later, that car was stolen, and I never got it back.  I wish I still had it.

While in Steamboat, on the Craig branch of the Rio Grande, I saw many steam era freight cars well within the time bounds of this list.

Schuyler

I think we are confusing the adjustment of engines for altitude with brand adjusting.

I know you have to adjust high altitude engines to run differently than one at sea-level.

I’m not sure about brand adjusting, but altitude adjustment is almost universally required for a car that is not computer-adjusted.

Best to ya,

Mike Bauers

Milwaukee, Wi

On Jul 11, 2015, at 2:28 PM, Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

On 7/11/2015 12:05 PM, ed_mines@... [STMFC] wrote:

Local gasolines might work well for local customers (engines were adjusted to run on them)

All current gas is blended different, CA alone has somewhere around 16 different blends.  How does this compare to say 1940?  Just one blend plus some additives in that time period.  Did we determine if they were at the tank car level or at the delivery truck level or was most all the advertizing just BS?