Re: Erie box car roof

Rich C

Garth, Here is a photo that shows a galvanized roof.

Rich Christie

On Friday, July 17, 2015 6:19 PM, "Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC]" wrote:

John,

Do you know if Erie 87000-87499 built in 1957 by GATC had unpainted galvanized roofs? And the running boards? Ed Hawkins' July 1999 RMJ general article on the late 40' boxcars offered no paint information on this series. I have an Erie car that hasn't been lettered yet, and this would be a good time to get things right.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/17/15 6:56 PM, johnsykesiii@... [STMFC] wrote:

Very well could be.  I know LV painted some of their galvanized roofs, but I've seen other photos where they are either bare (never painted) or the paint has worn off.  The photos seem to be mostly of their bright green cars in the '60's.

The Erie commonly left their galvanized roofs unpainted, but sprayed black roof cement over the ribs.  LV might have done likewise, especially if the seams leaked.

-- John