Re: NYC train consists

Guy Wilber

Scott wrote:

"Something I've noticed as I go through these consists is, every box car listed as "merchandise" has a 10 ton load weight. Considering that almost all of the other box cars have a more specific description of their lading, would it be safe to assume that these cars carry l.c.l. loads? Is the 10 ton listing just a shortcut to actually weighing these cars, as the nature of l.c.l. would almost never approach the load limit of the car?"

The minimum weight a car could transport in LCL service was controlled by the Office of Defense Transportation beginning with the issuance of General Order ODT No. 1 on May 1, 1942.  Between May 1 and July 1, 1942, the minimum was specified as 6 tons.  From July 1 to September 1, 1942, the minimum was increased to 8 tons.  From September 1, 1942, the minimum was increased to 10 tons continuing (as such) thru the duration of the ODT.

Exceptions to the provisions of GO ODT No. 1 were issued as General Permits.  The exceptions included; cars loaded with merchandise consigned to the Military (7 ton minimum), Westbound reefers returning to specific states (5 ton minimum), and box cars routed towards grain producing territories (5 ton minimum).

There are examples of these exceptions within Terry's consists as well as cars carrying less tonnage prior to the May 1, 1942 Order.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada