Re: Southern Boxcar Aluminum Monogram

Norm Buckhart

On Jul 23, 2015, at 8:41 AM, Tim O’Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Norm, can you point to an online photo that shows this? I have a bunch of shots
of 1937 AAR Southern box cars with the older 60" heralds with large letters in the
outer circle but there are small spaces between the words THE SOUTHERN (top) SERVES
THE SOUTH (bottom half). You literally mean that all of the letters are spaced
equally far apart from each other?

As in THESOUTHERNSERVESTHESOUTH ?

Tim O'Connor

the aluminum monogram is distinct from the white monogram and easily recognizable - while both are 60” in diameter the aluminum monogram has a much more condensed lettering arrangement and there is no spacing between lettering in the outer circle - if you see spacing then it’s white

Norm Buckhart

On Jul 23, 2015, at 6:14 AM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

The Aluminum herald is listed in the Specs that are documented in the SRHA's publication about 40-foot steel boxcars. My somewhat reliable memory is that the cars so specified were the square corner "1937" cars.

Bill Welch