Re: Spencer Kellogg & Sons tank car

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 7/24/2015 11:09 AM, salotti.steve@... [STMFC] wrote:

Hello,

I'm in the research stages of a clinic and am trying to find out about the above companies tank car fleet in 1949.  I have the reprint 1953 car owner registry book (OK, the correct name escapes me at the moment and I'm not at home) which does not list Spencer Kellogg at all.  There in a Spencer Chemical Company, but their owned cars do not come at all close to the cars I have at home in number series.  They do show in a register from 1917 but again totally different cars types and numbers.  The cars I have  are from Athearn (bogus, I know), plus several of the cars that I believe were made by Intermountain or Branchline numbered in the low 200.

Does anyone have a book pre 1949 that lists Spencer Kellogg and if so what type car and what number series were the cars.  Spencer Kellogg had plants in both Buffalo and Edgewater New Jersey and were a large producer of Linseed and other oils.

Steve,

As Ed Hawkins noted in his reply to you, Spencer Kellogg and Sons was leasing their fleet in 1949. Ed gave the reporting marks as GATC. I think this is a typo, as I have a slide of GATX18919 taken in July 1960 (I think). As best as I can determine the entire fleet was sold during WWII, presumably all to GATX, as the company was still growing at that time. I have prints and/or photocopies of SKX361 (single dome AC&F Type 27 car built in 1937), SKX352 (triple dome AC&F Type 27 also built 1937), SKX231 (single dome car, build date about 1925), SKX131 (single dome car build date about 1923), SKX245 (three dome car converted from single dome car, original build date 1928), SKX211 (single dome car, build date about 1924), and SKX65 (10,000 gal. MCB Class II car built 1907, photo in Al Westerfield collection).

I also have photocopies of several ORERs from 1903 up to Jan. 1943, which suggests the fleet was sold in 1943 or 1944. The roster reported in 1943 (if I counted correctly) was 146 cars. The capacities were from 6,000 gals. to 10,000 gals (45,000 to 75,000 pounds).

Incidentally SK&S had 8 processing plants, Bellevue, Ohio; Buffalo, NY; Chicago, Illinois; Decatur, Illinois; Des Moines, Iowa; Edgewater, NJ; Long Beach, California; and Minneapolis, Minnesota. Each site had elevators, and there were also elevators in Superior, Wisconsin. Aerial photos of Chicago, Minneapolis, and Bellevue show tank cars on sidings. Early record indicate that tank cars were assigned to Buffalo, Edgewater, and Minneapolis. There is a small booklet titled "Laboratory Letters," written by Dr. Alexander Schwarcman, chief chemist for the company. The Fourth Edition, sometimes found on eBay and published in 1949 is the most comprehensive. It mostly deals with the products and their chemistry, but it does contain some information about the company's history.

I would be interested in getting a copy of your clinic material, when it is complete.

Spen Kellogg