Re: fleet composition

John Larkin

 I've never seen a "published" schedule for UP trains but I did work in Schedule Control where we had a 24/7 operation to schedule priority trains across the UP system, this back in
the 1980 time period.  We typically would monitor the status of the inbound connections (i.e., #247 off the C&NW) and then provide North Platte with the instructions on when to
expect the trains and what connections should be made, when scheduled freight trains might be held for a late connection, etc.

The hottest trains were normally the auto parts trains (2) and the UPS connections.  Back then Amtrak was also a hot train and we took pride in keeping it on schedule.  Each train had
a scheduled time of arrival and departure but that was all on our timesheets (typed back then) where we logged the OS reports from dispatchers.  Going to a 24-hour clock, as we do
now, would have been very advantageous, particularly during the winter months when we had major storm delays hit western Nebraska and Wyoming.

One of the few areas where we disagreed with our boss on was the desire to keep drag freights at 125 cars or more.  During cold snaps it would often take 2-4 hours just to pump the air up
in the yard at North Platte (westbound was our emphasis) and if a train made a stop enroute, say for a meet, the -20 degree temps would produce more delays because it would still
take 20-30 minutes to release air on the 150 car monsters they insisted on running during the winters (to save labor costs).  That's when an office job looked pretty good.

There may have printed schedules outside our office but I never saw any and computers were mainframe only around UP back then.

John Larkin