Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:16 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Was Fleet Composition, Now Canadian Cars - 17000 CN cars in 1950 in US

  > Next letter shows the number of CN cars in 1950 on US rails is a respectable 17,000

That's interesting, but it represents what, maybe 2% of all US box cars in 1950?
What would be more interesting is to know the DIFFERENCE between the number of US
box cars on CN at one time versus the number of CN box cars on US rails. I'd guess
this number is much less than 17,000.

In the 1950's NP and GN annual reports, both roads report a constant shortage of
box cars on their rails, i.e. the total number of box cars on their railroad at any
given time was LESS than the number of box cars they owned. And when they bought new
cars, those cars would disappear for long periods of time. GN had to struggle each
year to stockpile enough box cars of its own (typically older cars) to handle the
wheat harvest.