Re: fleet composition

devansprr

PRR had a very similar approach rating approach (tonnage versus speed) going over the Appalachian summit on the Pittsburgh division during the steam era.

The PRR also had some pure LCL trains on some of the high traffic routes that ran ahead of perishables and closer to mail and express train speeds.

One of the east bound LCL's also ran with stock and perishables, typically on longer runs that needed fast movement to avoid re-icing or stock watering/resting; for example a 14 hour run from Pittsburgh to Harsimus, NJ for floating to NYCity markets and the New Haven (for points further east), which was faster than the main stock train east out of Pittsburgh.

And it appears the PRR would mix LCL, perishables (reefer or stock) and merchandise on many non-drag trains to fill out tonnage, as long as the highest priority schedule could be met.

Another WWII exception for the PRR was a train out of Detroit for Harrisburg, PA and points east - it had a lower tonnage rating than nearly all other freights. DT&I had to provide cars from Ford motor by 9:30 PM at Carleton, just RR east of Detroit, with the train departing 30 minutes later and arriving at Enola (Harrisburg, PA yard) 22.5 hours later. I never thought of WWII Detroit operating on a "just-in-time" manufacturing mode, but the schedule includes deliveries to Chevrolet in Baltimore, GM in Linden, NJ, and Ford Motor in Chester, PA. From the schedules, it looks like they were attempting to have parts loaded in Detroit by 6 PM delivered to east coast plants before 6 AM the second day. That train could also be filled out with perishables and LCL traffic. Pretty sporting schedule.

My original point gets back to staging. I think it is possible to have a few through freights where these "trains within a train" could be shuffled in large blocks of cars to create other through trains without requiring another staging track, or more cars. The trains would then appear different the second time around the layout, and as long as the prototype police were not taking numbers, few would spot the repeated cars, unless they happened to contain that rare car - like the N&W hopper...

Ducking for cover....

Dave Evans

---In STMFC@..., <Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote :

The Steam-Era Freight Cars on the UP tended to move on one of three priorities:

Livestock / Perishable [fast – more horsepower + shorter trains]

Manifest [merchandise, manufactured goods, lumber]

Drag [slow.  Empties, low-value commodities such as coal, company material, gravel.  Drag freights did not merit a train symbol and were usually run as extras, so they don’t show in the ETT or other schedules – only on Dispatchers’ Train Sheets].

I agree that the DS [dispatcher] would work hard to keep the perishables moving quickly.

Regards,

-Jeff