Re: Milk trains and cars

Tony Thompson

I recently saw some articles on milk trains in the east and upper mid-west, but there was no mention of milk transportation on the west coast.  How was milk handled in the southwest and CA?

     As Tom VanWormer said, SP operated milk service into both San Francisco and Los Angeles for some years. In the 1930s, the LA service from the west extended as far as Oxnard. I have seen a memo setting aside a certain number of express reefers for that service and for cut flowers, though SP also used baggage cars for short milk movements. The Sacramento Northern carried milk into East Bay points from Walnut Creek and Concord until just after World War II.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history