Re: ACL Serif to Sans-Serif Lettering change date

Rob Adams

Bill;

I can't provide an "official" date, but will share what I know from the photographic record.  The application of a Gothic sans-serif style lettering to the ACL/ACD O-17 and similar cars commenced well prior to the early 1950's.  I have a photo of a car 17528 with Gothic style lettering, probably nine inch road reporting marks, 7-inch road number, and Atlantic Coast Despatch emblem with Gothic, not Roman style lettering. The re-weigh stencil is 9-45, so the adoption was at least that early.  I have other images including one from 1948 with the same scheme, so must conclude that the scheme was a standard at least in the mid to late 1940's.

In subsequent years (apparently post 1950), there were at least two or three additional Gothic/Sans-serif style lettering variations applied with an ACL emblem rather than an ACD emblem, so painting and lettering.  Ideally one should refer to photographs with attention paid to the intended modeling date.

I'll send you some scans and additional information off-list.

Kind regards,

Rob Adams

On 7/31/15 8:53 PM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] wrote:

In the process of working on old build of ACL Ventilated Boxcar I realized that the reporting marks, car number, weight and dimensional data are Serif style but I know that ACL by the early 1950's had changed a Sans-Sarif style. Does anyone know when this change was official?

Bill Welch