Re: Bowser Covered Hoppers

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Good point -- Still it would be interesting to know the approx time period
of this hijacking of the L&NE hoppers and how they ended up in California...
It's a bit late for construction of the Hoover Dam so were there any other dams
under construction in CA that could account for shipping cement 3,000 miles?

      THe use of the LNE cars would have been prior to 1944, when the Merced cement plant of Yosemite Portland Cement was closed. I have no reason to think that the cars were originally in California carrying cement from their home territory. Jack Burgess might know. I will copy him on this.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history