Re: Attending RPM meets

Dave Owens

Andy, et al:

I'm one of the guys who organizes the meet in Connecticut each spring. We do not intentionally focusing on modern modeling. We value all eras and would be very happy to present steam era clinics as well as modern.

If anyone has a steam-era clinic and would like to come to our meet in 2016, we'd love to have you. We thank our presenters by giving them free admission and an honorarium.

Our meet, as always, is scheduled for the weekend after Memorial Day, which in 2016 is June 3-4.

All the best,

Dave Owens

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:18 PM, Andy Carlson midcentury@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Stuff does not happen in a vacuum: why is attendance down for consecutive years at Naperville? I, like many others, valued Naperville for the schmoozing of a great many fellow modelers, with attending featured clinics on an available time basis.

My last visit to Naperville I saw a clinic listing as "Santa Fe into Chicago". I thought this was worth attending. Imagine my dismay when the presenter was showing an in-cab ride from Central Illinois into Chicago, complete with the pictures and narration of each train encountered, IN 2004! There wasn't even a Santa Fe at that late date. Martin would have NEVER let that occur at one of his meets. Maybe I should have read the clinic listing which had not been as important years earlier.

People generally like to go where they are comfortable. I get less and less comfortable at each succeeding  Naperville event. I believe that Joe is cool with the idea that Martin's event is morphing into a modern RPM, and as stated earlier, there are TONS of modern RPM meets across the country, which is why for every single STMFC loss at Naperville, there is less than one (modern) replacment.

I don't believe that I have any special ability to read the future, but the current eroding lower turnout for Naperville was easily predicted 4-5 years ago.

I am grateful that the spirit of Martin (and Naperville) survives in Cocoa Beach. I just wish C.B. was more centrally located. I look forward to attending my 1st St Louis meet.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA