Re: I don't really think of the B&A as serving areas rich in mineral resources

Armand Premo

The Rutland had some 100 hoppers and discontinued sending them to the mines in 1934.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:33 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: I don't really think of the B&A as serving areas rich in mineral resources

Time wrote:

"I have wondered whether in the STMFC era whether railroads that RECEIVED a lot of
traffic of a certain type also supplied cars for the off-line originators of that
traffic in order to ensure a good supply of cars for their customers. "

Central Vermont rostered 200 twin-bay hoppers. Based on circumstantial photo evidence the majority of them seemed to spend a fair amount of time on the southern end of the railroad around New London - no surprise as their were several large gravel operations. They may have been used to deliver coal to company coal loading points but the overwhelming number of photos of the coaling towers show B&O and (sometimes) PRR hoppers on the dump tracks.

But Tim's question brings up an interesting point - but I've never seen any evidence of any of the CV's hoppers being loaded in the coal fields. Would be interested if that was the case since it would a t least validate the hypothesis.

Marty McGuirk