Re: Calculating Motive Power Requirements

Tim O'Connor

Bill

My bad again -- I was quoting lbs-TE per ton not horsepower !!

So a loco with 22,500 lbs continuous TE on a 2% grade could lift 500 tons,
or about 10 "average" STMFC era freight cars.

The SP for example would assign five 2-10-2's to lift 50 car trains north
of Dunsmuir CA. A cab forward could take almost twice as much as a 2-10-2.
An ABBA F set could lift about twice as much as one cab forward.

On flat lands of course relative performance was very different than on
steep mountain grades.

Tim O'

At 8/14/2015 03:00 PM Friday, bill Vaughn wrote:
Rules of thumb --

5 hp/ton on 0% grade (flat land)
25 hp/ton on 1% grade
45 hp/ton on 2% grade
65 hp/ton of 3% grade

Tim I just retired off a class 1 mountain grade, I wish you had assigned us power. I have never seen anything near 25 hpt even on the hottest of trains. More like 4 to 5 hpt.

Bill Vaughn