From: STMFC List <STMFC@...> on behalf of STMFC List
<STMFC@...>
Date: Monday, August 31, 2015 at 1:12 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Central Valley NP flat car

While NP had thousands of 41-foot cars in service by 1941, I doubt any were
built new for maintenance of way service, even if the car in the CV ad is
numbered in the nonrevenue equipment series. It was customary for surviving
old cars that were still in good condition to be renumbered for nonrevenue
service...sometimes, as it was not unusual for old cars to enter work
service with their revenue p/l intact. This was especially apt to happen
with flat and gondola cars that needed no alteration. And it was also not
unusual for revenue cars to be used for a while in company service and then
for them.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL