Re: Oregon lumber traffic

Bill Decker

Thanks Tony for augmenting my observations.  Your statements likely are based more in actual documents.  In my defense guys, the basic premise is basic economics.  I already noted the way the Bay Area was served by more local moves, including the NWP.  For the LA area and further around the "Golden Crescent," Oregon is simply closer to market.  In the ICC era of this list, mileage alone was enough to drive the transportation economics.  Once loaded into/onto steam era freight cars ;-))  , it was fairly economical to get it down to Southern California and beyond.  The Washington timber harvesters needed to get past the prolific Oregon mills to engage in that traffic.

Still, there was traffic from Washington state.  NP was a friendly connection at Portland and that continued into the "green" era well past this list.  Also past this list was a run-through agreement that deposited a full train at Eugene from Seattle and Tacoma.  I can see that traffic developing in steam era photos on the Cascade Line just by the many NP cars entrained.  By personal observation, SP&S' Oregon Electric traffic out of the Willamette Valley tended to go north and then east from Vancouver, WA.  Some joined the "GWS" stream down the Inside Gateway, but much went east.  Once again, look at the transportation economics.  As long as SP provided adequate service, the competitors were at a transportation cost disadvantage.

Bill Decker