Re: Rapido announced a NP 10000 series boxcar

riverman_vt@...

Hi Jim,

    You have given me a new homework assignment. I'll wager that 80%
of us New Englanders that take the hobby seriously have a fairly good
idea of how processing in transit rates work. However, it has almost
always been thought of in the context of raw grain coming into to New
England grain mills were it was/is converted into dairy, horse, pig or
poultry food, placed in 100 lb. bags and reloaded it that form into
boxcars for delivery to local feed dealers. NEVER had I considered the
possibility of western grain coming only as far as a place like Minneapolis
to be milled and continue eastward under processing in transit rates. It
would seem that little of this must have been animal feeds, with even the
possibility of a large, national firm like Purina having, until the late 1970's,
a large feed mill in St. Johnsbury, VT. But it could have been used for
bakery flour and other such products. Thus this bears looking into so
I think you for your tip. Given what he have for industry in northern New
England I suspect lumber mills on the Milw. Road supplied more finished
lumber to the are than mills on the NP or the GN and that this is the
reason of rthe preponderance of the Milw. cars but now I'm going to be
looking forther to find out.

Thanks for your thoughts, Don Valentine