Re: Pacific Great Eastern freight cars in the US in the 1950s (offshoot

greg kennelly

Thanks to Bob Hanmer and Barry Bennett who, off list, provided me with information that the statement "Freight Cars owned are used only in Switching Service with direct connections" appeared in the Pacific Great Eastern ORER entries as late as July 1959 but disappeared some time before an unspecified month in 1963 (beyond the cut-off date for this list).

Thanks also to Tim O'Connor who sent me a copy of the photograph of PGE 4220 (BLT 1-58) in Los Angeles in the late 1950s (actually, I believe, some time after June 1960 - the repack stencil looks like "RPKD PGE, NV 6-26-60"). However, as many of us know, it was the rarities rather than the common occurences that tended to be photographed. I will, therefore, stick with my statement that, in the time frame of this list, the appearance of a PGE freight car in the U.S. would be a relative rarity.

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly,
Burnaby, BC