Shingles heading east pre-WWII RE: Re: Oregon lumber traffic

kruegerp@...

I think I have posted this before, but this document (see the link below) is a packet of daily carload reports from Mineral, WA on the Milwaukee Road for the month of August 1935.  Pretty much all of the shipments are shingles and (other than an online movement to Spokane,WA) the westernmost shipments went to Colorado.  One went to Arkansas, another to Maryland, and several to NY/PA/MA.

Some loads were routed via GLT at Duluth, MN and then to another railroad at Buffalo, NY.  Would this have been a transfer to ships to cross the Great Lakes?

Also, I noted that most of the non-MILW cars used were CP cars.

Cascade Rail Foundation has probably a couple hundred of these monthly packets from the late 1920s into the 1930s.  The geographic focus is mostly stations on MILW lines south and east of Tacoma, but other locations in Washington are also in the collection and there is at least a year of packets for Tacoma.  The carloads are disproportionately lumber products.

If anyone would like to help digitize these documents, let me know.  We maintain our collections at Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive in Burien, WA near Seattle.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Krueger
Secretary