Re: Alcohol Shipments, was Pacific Northwest WWII was Lumber Traffic

Bill Decker

Larry,

Now I understand why the US Government was interested in a wood alcohol plant.  Plywood would have been an important commodity for the WWII effort and beyond.

As to Jon Miller's question on where the wood alcohol plant was in Springfield, it looks like the plant was out along the Marcola Branch of NE Springfield--headed toward Weyerhauser.  There is and was a fair bit of industry spread along that branch.

My alternate history will have this plant staying in service (rail-served, of course!) throughout the period of this list.  So now I need appropriate tank cars!  ;-))

Bill Decker
Southern Pacific Cascade Line