Lumber moving on the Overland Route in '49

Mikebrock

Since we seem to have an interest in modeling some of the referenced traffic, lumber in this case, I decided to see HOW it was moved back in the spring of '49 on the Overland Route [ and it was a very good year...all my teams were winning, Big Boys didn't need to be refurbished, etc. ]. So, to the Fraley...and some surprises, and some not.

I looked at 4 "lumber" trains running east on the Overland Route between Rawlins and Laramie, WY.

First, the late Tim Gilbert put this data together using a copy of my 1949 Fraley Frt Conductor's book.

So far, I have analyzed 4 trains that were carrying at least 6 cars of lumber. There will be more to come.

1. Train 1 had one each ATSF, UP, NYC, GN, Mil and Q cars...all Box Cars.

2. Train 2 had 33 cars carrying lumber.

UP: 4
SP: 6
NYC:5
PA:2
GN:5
NP:3

Many RRs were represented by single cars including CGA, CNW, SPS, KCS, Erie

All were Box Cars. 12 went to KC, the rest through Omaha east.

3.Train 3 had 48 cars of lumber.

SP: 22
CNW:3
NYC:2
PA:2
GN:2
UP:1
Many RRs with one including IHB.

One MP gon, one NYC gon, one RDG gon, one P&LE gon, one EJE flat [ all carrying lumber ].

Three to KC, one to Beatrice, one to Kearny, one to Arnold.

4. Train 4 had 35 cars carrying lumber.

SP:7
PA:3
NYC:4
ATSF:2
MIL:4
UP:2
GN:2
NP:2

One GN flat [ 65010 ].
13 cars to KC, one to Salina, the rest through Omaha

population does remind one of the Gilbert/Nelson population theory...with the exception of SP...again.

Box Cars also win. UP had one flat car in train 3, SP had 2 in train 3, PM had one flat in train 3. The well known photo of the flats carrying lumber on the SP made me expect to see more flats carrying lumber on the Overland Route.

More later.

Mike Brock