Re: Lumber moving on the Overland Route in '49

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <brockm@...> wrote :

Box Cars also win. UP had one flat car in train 3, SP had 2 in train 3, PM
had one flat in train 3. The well known photo of the flats carrying lumber
on the SP made me expect to see more flats carrying lumber on the Overland
Route.

We've discussed this before, and I believe the consensus of opinion was open lumber loads were more common on the west coast. I don't know why, but a couple reasons come to mind: Milder weather, and shorter transit times.

By the time you get to the Chicago market, it seems open loads are only rough plank and timbers; items on which the effects of weathering was allowable.

Dennis Storzek