Re: MONON box cars

Craig Zeni

On Sep 4, 2015, at 4:04 PM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

2. MONON box cars
Posted by: "Thomas Baker" bakert@andrews.edu northstarlimited
Date: Fri Sep 4, 2015 7:16 am ((PDT))

Group,

I have seen a photo of a MONON 50-foot double-door box car. From looking at the photo, I would say the doors are seven foot each, leaving an opening of fourteen feet for loading. The number on the car is 1271. Would cars in this series have a diagonal panel roof or a rectangular panel roof?
Probably photo of 1571...from my buddy Jim Smith, Monon freight car guy:

MON 1271 is a 40 foot car w/ a 6 foot door -- and marked for appliance loading at appliance park, KY

MON 1371 is a 50' w/ 8' door

MON 1500-1599 were double door cars; had 7.5' doors (15' opening). Had diag panel roofs.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC