Re: RE; Car Service Rules

Charles Peck

In about 1960 a friend of mine was clerking in the NYC Water Street Yard, Louisville KY.  
He would operate a teletype machine, get report of what was incoming then get papers 
from the conductor, and walk the train checking numbers against the paperwork.  And he
would prepare lists of what was to be placed on an outgoing train. Once the switching was
done, he would walk the train checking car numbers against his list, make up paperwork
for the conductor, and teletype the final consist to the main office.
Over on the L&N RR in pre-electronic days, every baggage car had a place for company mail.
Large manila envelopes closed with a string were used and reused to bring and send data
all over the system. The bundles of envelopes came full of typed or handwritten lists of
cars received, sent, loaded, unloaded, and were sorted out to rooms full of desks with clerks,
typewriters, and adding machines.  Billing was done, per diem was calculated, reports from a 
thousand agents were totaled, At some point punch cards were added into the methodology,
but for many years, hundreds of clerks ground out the paperwork one car report at a time. 
Probably couldn't be done today.  Not with every clerk having a cell phone and a personal
coffee machine at their desk.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Dan, in the steam era and into the late fifties, what were the modes of communications? I am assume they used the telegraph and telephone. Did they a visual means of know what was where, a big chalk board perhaps?

My head is spinning trying to imagine the flow of information, managing the data they needed, and the human resources involved. Did this go on 24/7?

Bill Welch

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.