Re: RE; Car Service Rules

John Larkin

George hit a bullseye with the comment on per diem.  When I first started railroading with UP in 1982 I did a study of the yard office operations.  Among the other surprises was the priority given to getting foreign cars off the UP property before midnight, even running special trains (often shorter than normal) just to get the cars off before the next day's per diem would be due.  I asked how long that had gone on like that and was told that it had been that way since most of the clerks started work at UP, which went back into WWII in many cases.

Another commensurate note was that the D&RGW in particular seemed to be pretty good at getting the UP cars to us, running their own "per diem" trains that were sometimes solid UP cars, again not particularly long.  This also had a history from the steam era according to the UP clerks working in Salt Lake.  Seems using the foreign cars came second to getting rid of the per diem, and UP in the local office delighted in getting UP cars sent back east on long runs that were interchanged at KC or Omaha due in part to the per diem they would collect..

John Larkin

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 12:53 PM, "george eichelberger geichelberger@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I have no doubt the Southern did not send cars off line simply because they had an excessive supply. There are multiple Southern Railway AFEs (Authorization for Expenditures) available that specifically mention positive per diem balances as part of the rationale to purchase the equipment. Is the comment about western and eastern roads based on specific documentation or someone’s assumptions? Does the extensive AAR documentation on car availability and car purchases in the years after the war confirm this eastern-western theory?

I would be very interested in seeing any primary research information that describes cars being trapped by the ACL, SAL, L&N or Southern. I recognize that various railroads entered bankruptcy during the depression, after the war and into the (forbidden) modern era. I also recognize that of the railroads I mention, only the SAL ever went through a bankruptcy, none were dismembered, abandoned a large part of their system or found themselves in such dire straits that they sold or merged themselves out of existence. (I believe it is correct to consider the RI, MILW and SP “western” roads?)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)