From: "Allan Smith smithal9@... [STMFC]"
To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2015 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] seasonal coal traffic

Regarding home coal use. I remember my grandfathers house in St Paul MN he had a coal bin in the basement, next to the furnace, with outside access. He would order a truck load at one time usually september, the truck would back up to the shute and dump the whole load down the shute into the bin, It would last all winter. The truck had side boards so it could hold more coal, probably 8-10 cubic yards.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, September 21, 2015 10:36 AM, "Barry Bennett barrybennetttoo@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I would think that the high season for shipping household coal would be in summer. Households may USE the coal in the winter but BUYING the coal would more likely be an all year or summer event. Very few folk would be able to finance buying in their winter fuel in one hit, so would buy week by week/ month by month in small lots of maybe one or two sacks at a time through the year to build a stock for the winter months. Coal was probably cheaper in summer anyway, less demand, and waaaaaay easier to ship and deliver during the warmer seasons.

Barry Bennett

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Charles Peck lnnrr152@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

My thought on this is that perhaps the market for coal grades used for home heating may well
have been seasonal.  Coking coal for steel making and coal for power plants would not be
so affected by the seasons.  Coal going north over the Great Lakes would also have been a warm
weather traffic as the Lakes freeze in winter.
My idea is that industrial coal use much outweighed winter heating use. Just my supposition,
no data to offer.
Can anyone comment on export coal going to Norfolk and such ports being seasonal or not?
Chuck Peck in FL

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM, ed_mines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Inline with Tony's recent post, I think off road hoppers used for coal would be returned to their owners in the summer months rather than pay the car owners demurrage or maybe just to equal out demurrage payments.

I've never seen any discussion of this except that empty home road hoppers were stored everywhere in Scranton during the summer.

Any comments?

Ed Mines