Hoppers in odd places

Charles Peck

We might keep in mind that hoppers can carry less than common cargos. Used ties for a garden shop as an example. Yes, I might use a gondola if one were handy but....

When I was working on the lakeboats, we had a partial cargo once of iron ore consigned to Maybelline.  Iron ore as an ingredient for makeup.  From that I can figure that there may well have been ore cars headed to someplace where there was no steel mill, no pig iron production.   Those odd hoppers might have been hauling something just as odd.  Some odd mineral for making colored glass maybe.

Chuck Peck in FL