Re: number of cabooses

A&Y Dave in MD

I'm confused. Why would you need to estimate the number for the purposes of this list?  It's an empirical question. The rule book tells you when you need a cab and the schedule (including extras) tells you the number of conditions when the rule applies. For much of the era covered here, an ICC annual report will provide the number existing for a given railroad

Basically, anytime one or more consecutive steam era freight cars are in a train outside a yard, you need one.

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Sep 28, 2015, at 12:30 PM, ed_mines@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

How can the number of cabooses of a railroad be estimated? By the number of freight engines?

If 100 new cabooses were built can it be assumed a like number were retired?

My apologies if this question is beyond the scope of this group.

Ed Mines