Re: "Lost cars" was: Re: Writing off old cars was B&O "wagon top" boxcars

Brian Termunde

A number of years ago, I came across an N Scale car that someone had done up as an LS&BC car. None of my friends understood why I was so eager to have it, and so I had to explain.

I do remember a write-up in RMC a long time ago, but I don't recall anything in Railfan or elsewhere.

More to our era, I recall reading in a book (and I don't remember what one - too many decades ago!) where a railroad lost a box car belonging to another railroad in some bad flooding. Well they refused to give up and continued to pay per diem on the car. Finally, supposedly according to this forgotten book, they found it in some farmers field. Apparently it ended up on his property and he confiscated it. The RR pulled it out of the field, repaired and repainted it and proudly returned it to the home road years later.

I make no claims as far as this tale being true or not, but the fact that I remember it years later, obviously it made an impression on me.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, UT

"My Train of Thought left the station without me!"

1e.
Re: Writing off old cars was B&O "wagon top" boxcars
    Posted by:
MDelvec952@... railwriter
    Date: Sat Oct 3, 2015 1:38 pm
((PDT))

The LS&BC caper was talked about by railroad managers for decades.
Small world: A Conrail official I worked with was the PennCentral trainmaster at
the time who discovered a long string of these cars while taking a track check
at Kankakee, Ill., as it seemed the LS&BC wasn't exactly careful about painting
out the markings.  I got a grin when one of our steam-era freight car
manufacturers Kadee was offering PS-1s in an LS&BC patch job, keeping the memory
of it alive.

In the steam era, it was easy to loose freight cars, when
offices kept track of cars with index and punch cards.  I didn't believe it
either until I became a real trainman / conductor and you quickly realize that
in a yard you can only see a few cars at one time from one place. As a
trainmaster, I had to walk yards to verify track checks.  Even today with AEI
tags and scanners, cars get lost and trainmasters are sent to walk sidings and
yards where the car was last reported by scanners.  Oak Island Yard has a cyber
track 999 where errant cars are placed, that is a car that is printed out on
consist sheets but that car is not in the train, so that line-item sits on 999
in the computer until the actual car turns up. At least once a month a train
shows up on our interchange with a car that wasn't on the consist sheets, and
sometimes it's even a car that belongs at our location.

One figure rarely
seen on steam-era model railroads are those showing someone with a clip board
walking yard tracks and sidings               ....Mike Del Vecchio