Re: Standard Tank Car Frame Dimensions

Rufus Cone

All About Tank Cars published by Standard Car Construction Company, 1919, can be viewed here.
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nnc1.cu55808360;view=1up;seq=7

Downloads of more than one page at a time require an academic subscription to HathiTrust.

I purchased a used copy of the book for $23.00.  In addition to the one 3 view drawing, it contains varied information relevant to shippers including an extensive section on Master Car Builder Rules;  the MCB section includes a few detail drawings, specifications of rivets, etc.

Here are some key measurements from the text and the legends on the fold-out drawing.  The drawing in the book is presumably reasonably to scale but is not dimensioned;  it is not scanned in the online pdf.

From pages 329-332 of the book

Type A Center Anchorage Tank Car
GENERAL DIMENSIONS:
Length over striking plate about 31 feet 10 inches.
Width, over running boards 9 feet 3 1/4 inches.
Height from top of rail to center of draw bars, 2 feet 10 1/2 inches
Height from top of rail to top of center sill girders, about 3 feet 8 inches.
Height .from top of rail to bearing surface pf center plate, about 2 feet 1 inch.
Center to center of trucks, about 21 feet.
UNDERFRAME:
Center sill girder built of two 15 in by 40 pound OHS channels 31 feet 6 inches long.  Reinforced with top and bottom cover plates of OHS , 3/8 inch thick by 20 inches wide …
RUNNING BOARDS:
1 3/4 inches by 11 1/2 inches
HAND RAILS
1 1/4  inch pipe fastened with 2 inch by 3/8 inch brackets
GRAB IRONS
5/8 inch round, 16 inches by 2 1/2 inches in the clear

FROM THE LEGENDS ON THE FOLD-OUT DRAWING (14 inches x 21 inches, covering 3 sizes/capacities of tank cars, found between page 336 & 337 of the book) – drawing not scanned in the online pdf
RUNNING BOARDS for the 10,000 Gal car are 35 feet 5 inches long
END RUNNING BOARDS 7 feet 4 inches (appears to fit between longer ones above)

Rufus Cone
Bozeman, MT

Colin

I have All About Tank Cars published by Standard in 1921. It has a fold out of a car with probably enough underframe information to get you where you need to be including the KC brake equipment. The book was liberated when my former employer, Phillips Petroleum, went through a housecleaning. I will have it scanned for you and send it via email if you think that will work for you

Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK