Re: Livestock through Chicago

Tony Thompson

True, but I've always wondered if the PRR didn't just get stuck with the bill
because so much of the perishables TERMINATED on the PRR after relatively short
hauls. After all if the produce deep inside the car rotted on the Santa Fe, how
would anyone know until the car was being unloaded in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia?

Were damage claims to perishables pro-rated based on "hours of control" ? If it
took Santa Fe 110 hours to get to Chicago, and PRR took 50 hours to forward that
to New York, it is fair to blame PRR for all of the damage?

    I take your point, Tim, but Erie from Chicago to New York had far smaller claims; B&O to its eastern cities had distinctly lower claims than PRR. If it was just a question of "who delivered it," they should have had just as much complaint as the PRR. My own guess would be that claims were pro-rated by mileage handled. Does anyone know for sure?

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history