From: STMFC@... [STMFC@...]
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:11 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Livestock through Chicago

Bruce Smith wrote:

What Tony also fails to note is that in spite of the supposed shipper preference for the Erie, the PRR hauled vastly more perishable traffic in terms of carloads than the Erie (about 3 times more).

       Please note I never said that most perishable traffic went over the Erie. I have repeated what former PFE people told me, that they strongly and frequently urged shippers to choose the Erie for faster, more dependable service and fewer damage claims. But obviously the Erie served a limited amount of the east, primarily the New York area. You could still use Erie for part of the trip to other cities, but obviously Pennsy's service area would draw a lot of traffic.
       I think if you look at the size of cities served by PRR compared to Erie, carrying three times as much perishable traffic is a sad multiple for PRR.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history