Re: new car kit from Dry Creek

mwbauers

Well, after reading the additional, and later post giving us the price…..

I’m quite received.

I certainly was shocked to see the Shapeways price on the similar car. Who would expect that sort of higher cost?

I’m very glad to see it’s not a similar price.

After looking at more of the ‘catalog’ of that Shapeways fellow, I’m thinking its less expensive to buy a laser cutter and DIY than to source from the commercial 3d printers…….. at least for the steel snowplows in that Shapeways fellow’s catalog.

I think it’s so very expensive due to the cost of the machine that one is printed on. Frankly, when 3d printing costs several times what another 3d printed car is known to cost…….. Well commercial 3d printing isn’t worthwhile unless it is more reasonably priced.

I’m hoping that the new 6-7 minute 3d print process will dramatically lower the prices of prints that up to now have to take 4-8 hours to print. I know that the commercial machines that are coming out are priced lower than the current 4-8 hour printers, as well.

But to loop back, I’m very glad that the only thing close to this car that I could find is very over-priced by comparison. Like the poster, if I had seen the price on the original page, I wouldn’t have hunted down this similar car I saw mentioned on another list to see what the price might be.

$32 compared to $155 is a lot more reasonable. I’m both embarrassed to see the much higher priced car as well as to have missed the actual much lower price of the thread kit.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Oct 20, 2015, at 11:36 AM, 'Bruce F. Smith'  wrote:

Mike,

You’re not even in the right state!  I have no idea why the CN gon is so so expensive at $154.99.  Other models at Shapeways are significantly less expensive for what appears to be a similar amount of plastic.  It may be that the car is printed in a number of pieces or it may simply be the builder’s attempt to make some money.

On Oct 20, 2015, at 10:52 AM, Mike Bauers  wrote:

I don’t know what his price is.

This similar car on Shapeways might give you a ballpark guess….

On Oct 20, 2015, at 10:38 AM, Jon Miller wrote:

    Looked at the site and pictures, nice car.  I gathered from the site that each kit is special order and one needs to email for information, que, etc.   However nowhere on the site did I see a price, which brings in the old adage that if you have to ask you most likely can't afford it (grin)!