Re: new car kit from Dry Creek

Tom Madden

Mike Bauers wrote:
> I do know that the new Carbon3d 3d print process does NOT
> have the same graininess we see from the incremental steps
> of the current 3d processes. I’ve not yet seen a detail rich print
> like this car made with it to see how good similar details are rendered.
>
> My fingers are lightly crossed that it will do better on small detail surfacing.

The carbon3D process touts build speed and ultra thin layers, the latter pretty much eliminating the stairstepping and layering that  bedevil other 3D printing processes. But smooth sloped surfaces and thin layers have nothing to do with resolution - the level of detail the process can generate on the flat "up" surface, the small detail surfacing Mike refers to.

As far as I know the carbon3D folks haven't released detailed technical specs of their process, but it looks like they are imaging entire layers at once using DLP technology. The thinner the layer, the less UV light energy it takes to cure the resin, so that's a positive for the process. Unless they've also developed a new, very high resolution projector, one assumes they are using one of the standard formats. Their resin tray looks rectangular, so let's say they are using HD projection, 1920 x 1080 pixels. If their imaged area is nominally 7" x 4", that works out to around 270 pixels per inch, or a pixel size of 0.0037". Better than the Formlabs Form 2 laser spot size of 0.0055", but not quite as fine as hi-resolution stereolithography's 0.003" spot size. And not nearly as fine as Shapeways' FUD and FXD 700 x 750 DPI (0.0014" pixels) printing.

I hope I've made some bad assumptions or serious errors in that analysis, or that carbon3D has made additional unannounced breakthroughs with their CLIP fast printer. But as it stands I expect that printer to deliver much smoother parts, faster, but with a lower level of detail than Shapeways' FUD and FXD processes.

Tom Madden