From: "'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 8:12 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Accurail O.B. boxcars as USRA design cars

Technically, those were not USRA cars as the USRA stopped functioning on March 1, 1920. Cars built during the 1920s that mostly followed a USRA design have commonly been called clones in the model press. True USRA box cars did not have 7/8 corrugated steel ends or Hutchins roof hardware.

For a pocket summary of the USRA and a list of the car assignments they made, check out this page on my blog.

Here’s a magazine to unearth. The February 1993 RMJ article is a good reference for the Accurail 4100 and 4300 series kits. Here's a link to review Richard Hendrickson's original article. Most of this article remains available on the Trainlife site. Page 20 and additional pages go dead, but clicking on the Show Page Text link offers a hint of the content without images. It seems there was no data table provided for the article.

From Richard's article, I gather the following prototypes are best reflected by the Accurail 4100 series model.

CN 500500-503499 - 1000 cars built in 1923, 1924, and 1927, for 3000 total cars.

Additionally, automobile box cars (XA) built to the same design, but with an added half door for the 10-foot door opening.

CN 580000-580999 - 1000 cars built in 1923
GTW 581000-581999 - 1000 cars built in 1923
GT 33000-35999 - 200 cars built in 1923 but with corrugated steel ends (4300 series kits)

Many of these XA class cars were rebuilt in the 1930s with a narrower door opening and only a single door per side, becoming XM class cars.

Additionally, there were similar prototypes on the CB&Q, CNJ, and SP Lines (to name a few) that differed in overall height and hardware appliances.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX