Re: 3-D printers

mwbauers

If you don’t mind putting on your own rivet/NBW detail, wire steps, grab irons and ladders, the extrusion made models are just fine.

Like the real thing, you’ll need to put on stand alone brake wheel parts and on bracket tag boards.

But those details I mention above are the meat and potatoes of this Yahoo list RR car modeling anyway. You already do it that way.

I got to handle scale models made from the Dremel 3d printer this Sunday. Once you are in tune with the limitations of the process, and work within those restrictions, you’ll do just fine with it.

We don’t have to fret about future advances of the 3d print method that aren’t yet here. What is here can be well and wisely used, as is.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Oct 27, 2015, at 10:42 AM, 'Bruce F. Smith' wrote:

Jon,

These are monofilament extrusion printers, For model work, they’re crap. I don’t know how many times we have to say it, but the resolution of “bargain” 3D printers is insufficient to produce satisfactory parts for models. PERIOD. Someone will likely chime in with a pie in the sky view of what MIGHT be coming and yes, it might be coming. But right now, it ain’t here and as Tom Madden and others who actually use this technology repeatedly point out, to get the resolution that modelers need, you need the really really expensive machines...

On Oct 27, 2015, at 10:28 AM, Jon Miller wrote:

Monoprice has a couple of 3-D printers, one at $399 and one at $599. Not sure if these are the normal price range or good prices.