Re: Naperville

mwbauers

This has reminded me of a 3d printed object I got some 10-15 years ago.

It was a lightweight near-black print of a hand calculator with details to the print. It was a commercial 3d printer sample.

I took it to work in my lunch and misc pack to show the guys at work. When I got to work and unpacked the lunch, the print was in shattered fragments. It was sort of foamy inside and glass brittle.

This weekend I got to handle and bounce some model railroad Dremel 3d printer models. They stood up very well with no damage. [ a large grain silo, a good sized stone bridge, and some palm sized tools and brackets ]

That was from a ‘cheap’ home-user machine printing in PLA.

The art has progressed enough that even the cheap 3d printed stuff is much improved in durability over the very expensive commercial results of a few years ago.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Oct 27, 2015, at 2:33 PM, 'Jack Burgess'  wrote:

No, 3D models are not "flimsy". I have passed around the frame for the side
dump I'm working on at a number of clinics and no one has broken it yet.
Thin parts are brittle and you need to just be careful with them. You cannot
tap the material for screws to attach the trucks (hence the need to also
print plugs for attaching trucks). And I didn't say that the model
"shattered" when I tried to tap the hole for the truck screw...the bolster
just cracked and could have been glued back together if I wanted to.

As I mentioned in the clinic, this technology is really geared for building
single cars (not a fleet) and replacement parts (where a sprue can be used
to minimize costs). If you want to build a fleet, follow Tom's approach. If
you want to build a single side dump car, 3D printing is the answer.