Re: A Hybrid Construction Tank Car?

Jack Mullen

I think you're misled because the rivets along the longitudinal seam have pretty much disappeared due to lack of contrast in the shadow areas in the scan, and the top seam is out of sight due to the upward angle of the shot..

The very prominent edge of the bottom course shows this is a lap joint, not what you'd see if it were a welded joint.

I don't know whether the rivets could be seen better in the original photo, but by tweaking both contrast and brightness to high levels, I was able to distinguish a regular pattern of indistinct bumps along the longitudinal seam.

Jack Mullen