Re: Nitric Acid Tank Cars

mwbauers

I’m reminded of the Red Ball shrouded acid car kits I recently got from The Swaps…….

Isn’t this photo just a similar class of car from a particular builder ???

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Nov 8, 2015, at 4:46 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Have we considered that it is merely a trial balloon of a car ???

If it proved out as being needed, it would have become the standard for such a load.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Nov 8, 2015, at 4:39 PM, Dave Parker wrote:

If a tank carrying 95% nitric acid were to fail, it would seem most likely to do so from the inside out.  I cannot imagine why getting rained or snowed upon would make a shred of difference.  And if it did, why is is the only acid-carrying tank car sporting the shroud, out of the dozens/hundreds of photos that are out there?

I do not know the purpose of the shroud, so will refrain from guessing.  But the possibilities that have been advanced thus far don't make a lot of chemical sense.