Subject: RE: [STMFC] Accurail 36-foot double-sheathed boxcars
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 12:08 PM

---In STMFC@yahoogroups.com,
<Jeff.A.Aley@...> wrote :

Dennis,
Would you like to share the prototypes (or “close
prototypes”) for these new cars?  How common were these
in, say, 1951?
Can one logically infer future meat reefers as a result of
this tooling?  Thanks,  -Jeff=========

The car with steel ends and a
fishbelly UF is specifically an NYC car, although NKP had a
group of identical cars. The car with wood ends and
fishbelly UF is also an NYC car, just a slightly earlier
version of those above. The NYC bought thousands of these
for itself and its subsidiaries in the decade before WWI,
from several builders, and I have a profusion of drawings
from both Haskell & Barker and Pullman to work from.

The Master Car Builder's
Association had recommended standard interior dimensions for
boxcars as early as 1902, which these cars follow. That
means that a LOT of cars built at this time share these
common dimensions, including some of the last truss rod cars
built.

Not all the
railroads agreed with the heavy underframe design, and a
goodly number of cars were built to the same dimensions but
with straight steel center sills. I'm still researching
drawings for this UF. There is also a variant that had very
prominent channel side sills visible below the car sides,
which could be a good kitbash.

One of the things that is distinctive with the
NYC fishbelly UF is the use of FIVE crossbearers... that
puts one right on the centerline of the car. I have yet to
find a straight sill version with this crossbearer/crosstie
arrangement, so I'll have to do more to supply the
straight centersill version than we've done with the
40' car floor, where you are basically on your own to
scratchbuild straight sills.

I'll leave the nitty-gritty of how long
they lasted to others, but suffice to say, any of the cars
that were still in service during the late thirties stayed
in service all through WWII, but were then on the short list
for replacement as the car builders ramped up production
after the war.

Dennis
Storzek