L&N 36-foot Box Cars & Ventilated Boxcars

Bill Welch

The L&N owned large numbers of 36-ft Boxcars and Ventilated Boxcars using the same basic components. The pre-WWI group had wood doors and ends with a hefty channel side sill. The vents had a second ventilating door and vents built into the ends. These went through a rebuilding in the late 1930's in Fairfield, AL I think and remaining Vents were converted to boxcars.

The post-WWI cars had inset Murphy steel ends. The side sill looks less beefy but may be partially covered with side sheathing. Doors were wood. The vent version again had a second vent door, louvered vents on the ends and unique to the L&N side vents mounted low on the sides on each side of the doors. Photos of these cars are in the Kline/Culotta book and Speedwitch's "Freight Cars in Context."

Both groups of cars had outside metal roofs. To maximize versatility I sincerely hope Dennis will design the tooling so that the ends and doors are separate. One thought I have is that this new kit would be a great subject for the 2017 "Shake & Take" to do a L&N ventilated car with resin and photo-etched parts. But then I again I am prejudiced.

Bill Welch