Re: L&N 36-foot Box Cars & Ventilated Boxcars

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bill,

After I sent off my post, I discovered that I have a rather poor plan and a single photo of L&N 8893 in the RMC ROLLING STOCK PLAN BOOK. I suspected that the ends were inset (they don't show in the photo). Depending on the ends, this could be an easy conversion of Dennis' fishbelly steel end car.

Yours Aye,

Garth

On 11/17/15 9:54 PM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] wrote:

The L&N owned large numbers of 36-ft Boxcars and Ventilated Boxcars using the same basic components. The pre-WWI group had wood doors and ends with a hefty channel side sill. The vents had a second ventilating door and vents built into the ends. These went through a rebuilding in the late 1930's in Fairfield, AL I think and remaining Vents were converted to boxcars.

The post-WWI cars had inset Murphy steel ends. The side sill looks less beefy but may be partially covered with side sheathing. Doors were wood. The vent version again had a second vent door, louvered vents on the ends and unique to the L&N side vents mounted low on the sides on each side of the doors. Photos of these cars are in the Kline/Culotta book and Speedwitch's "Freight Cars in Context."

Both groups of cars had outside metal roofs. To maximize versatility I sincerely hope Dennis will design the tooling so that the ends and doors are separate. One thought I have is that this new kit would be a great subject for the 2017 "Shake & Take" to do a L&N ventilated car with resin and photo-etched parts. But then I again I am prejudiced.

Bill Welch