Re: DX-Sunray tank cars

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jack,

They were interesting photos, but I didn't have time to comment when you first posted them.

The cars in question are class LTA: "A permanently enclosed car having a cylindrical body for handling certain dry powdered or granular commodities, provided with top opening for loading, fitted with weather tight covers or doors. One or more bottom openings provided for unloading, with tight fitting slide or gate to prevent leakage of lading."

D-X Sunray Oil Company rostered three series of these cars in the 1958 ORER (listing dated Apr. 1957). 4000 to 4011 and 4015 to 4017 were 100,000 lb cars with a volume of 1,628 cubic feet. 4012 to 4014 were 80,000 lb cars with a 1,445 cubic foot volume. They were homed at Tulsa, and the listing doesn't say what sort of granular material they carried. I don't remember how the cars were lettered in the photo, but all three series appear to have been C.O.S.X which was a mark of Mid-Continent Petroleum, though the listing block in the ORER is for D-X Sunray. Was there some sort of merger here?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 12/6/15 3:08 PM, jack.f.mullen@... [STMFC] wrote:

My previous attempt to respond to this topic seems to have vanished into the Yahoo void. I'll try again.

I think these are obsolete tank cars that have been converted to carry granular dry bulk cargo, de facto covered hoppers.

Consider
  • The domes don't appear to have safety valves; the manway cover is the only fitting visible.
  • The added hatches don't seem to have fasteners that would be suitable for a pressure vessel.
  • The hatches would be appropriate for loading a granular material from a spout.
  • The usual tank data stencil at the right end of the tank is absent.
  • For what it's worth, weathering is dusty rather than oily.
I'll admit that there don't seem to be any obvious bottom-discharge hoppers or gates, but I'm having a hard time making out much detail in the area under the tank. I don't see a bottom-discharge pipe either.

I should be able to check an ORER in a day or two to see what car type is listed.

By the way, the photo of #4003 gives a good view of the pattern of oily grime thrown onto the underside of the tank by the wheels.

Jack Mullen