Re: 1955 - What was moving by rail on a branchline to an end of line town? Reefers?

Allen Montgomery <sandbear75@...>

Inside scoop. Park City was too cold for much more than ranching. Heber City, just to the south, was where the locals got most of what would have been in the reefers. Trucking eggs, milk and other perishables was a lot easier from Heber than up from Ogden/ S.L.C. Grandpa was a miner at the Mayflower tunnel until WW2 broke out. Like him,a lot of folks evidently lived in towns like Kamas and Heber rather than in Park City itself. They were lower, warmer and had less snow. Of course that is relative. I pulled into town one day and had to find my aunts house by trying to remember what her roof looked like.
One thing to keep in mind when talking about this area. The mormons have always been incredibly self reliant. If they could grow it or raise it themselves, they did.
Dad remembers the RG local having to pound up the grade to Park city with nothing but empty drop bottom gons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the grade was over 4% to Park City. That was the reason they abandoned it long before Park City ran out of traffic.
Allen

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 6:30 AM, "'Douglas Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Bill I certainly think you are correct, an LCL reefer would have a regular schedule. But I would have no idea what day. I am not a UP or DRGW follower and do not know the schedule of any trains on the branch line in question. My comments were more speculation based upon knowledge that LCL reefer traffic did occur in other parts of the country, esp in areas where roads were poor, and upon my studies of the grocery distribution industry.

A look at a timetable or train schedule for the Park City branch, would tell us what locals ran the line and where they started and terminated. Then we might be able to pinpoint Salt Lake City or Ogden as the terminal and look for a grocery distributor who would be providing Park City.

And it is quite possible that by 1955 LCL reefer traffic no longer existed. Looking at Google maps I see via I-80 it is only 34 miles from Salt Lake City to Park City. And via Highway 190 it is 41 miles. Distances easily covered with a truck, even in the 40s and 50s.

Now the more important question for this group, whose reefer would have been pressed into a weekly LCL service? If out and back in one day, did the railroad just “borrow” an empty from the yard, ie an empty PFE passing through? Knowing PFE wanted their reefers back rather quickly, I doubt it. Same could be said for meat reefers. Was a railroad owned reefer kept on hand for this service? If only once a week, that might be difficult to justify, unless the reefer saw regular use on different branch lines in the Salt Lake City area.

Doug Harding