Re: Express Reefers?

Charles Peck

Bob, the REA cars were not ordinarily available for direct use by shippers but were for use BY REA.  REA was
a consortium of various railroads, not exactly a customer in the sense of most shippers.  As I have been told, REA
was charged by the carmile, not by weight. Thus, as long as REA knew the weight, there was no need for the hauling
railroad to weigh the car.  The REA cars most frequently were hauled in passenger trains for the fastest service.
Cargos might include such perishables as fresh seafood and flowers.  To see one in a freight train often meant
empty deadhead move or bad order.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Bob Werre bob@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

First, I'm hoping this still fits the designation of a freight car!

I've recently decided to do some rebuilding of some acquired models.
Since I model in S scale when a complete award winning passenger train
became available I jumped on it despite being only generally correct for
my railroad. The train was built with mid 60's era techniques, while
the cars themselves have a B & M prototype of maroon cars. It's
lettering was for the owner private road. It also came with a Hoods
milk reefer, which I didn't need, later sold.

A couple of years ago, I also acquired a wooden express reefer (think
Ambroid) but the silk screened sides were totally incorrect so I removed
the scribed sides. Meanwhile I had acquired an set of silk screened
sides for a SOO Line express reefer in Pullman green with gold leaf type
lettering. I'm in the process of adding those sides and updating the
former applied detail parts like ladders and grabs. I noticed that
there is no dimensional data on these sides. I have three additional
express reefers that I built over 40 years ago that do have typical
freight car data as part of those sides. So I also checked my spare
decal sets and find none of the passenger car sets from Champ or anybody
else contain any of this data.

As it is now, the sides contain a road # and the word 'Refrigerator' on
one side and 'Railway Express Agency' on the other side of the doors.
The SOO line designation runs along the top above the doors. Overall
the car looks very sparse. However, I've seen photos of of several
models and so far none have much more than what I have.

So my question is: was this data optional? or are my vintage express
cars that I built have the lettering incorrect. Since the lettering is
in gold leaf, would any additional lettering be the same color? My
thoughts might be that they may have used a cheaper method with the
smaller data that was less advertising in nature.

Thanks for any help.

Bob Werre
BobWphoto.com